Choosing a Solicitor
If you choose to work through your own Interim consultancy there may be times that you need legal advice so a good relationship with your Solicitor can be invaluable.
The advice they give you may be about setting up your company, the contract or to provide a legal view on a wide variety of business issues. If you dont have a solicitor already choosing your solicitor is best to do before you need them. If things do ever go wrong, or a legal issue comes to light between your company and anybody else, having your solicitor in place could save you a lot of time and money further down the line.
Here are some simple practical tips to help you make the right choice:
- The best way to find a solicitor is through a referral. Speak to other contractors or your accountant to see if they can recommend anybody.
- Before you hire a solicitor, ask for estimates of the costs. Not only is this a Law Society requirement but it will also help you make your choice as to who you plan to use. Please do bear in mind though that cheap quotes are normally cheap for a reason so be sure to satisfy yourself as to their suitability.
- As a contractor it would be worth seriously considering a firm that specialises in working with small companies. The costs are likely to be reasonable and their expertise are likely to be more relevant to you too.
- If you need specialist help make sure that the solicitor you choose has experience in this are.
- A good place to look if you cant find a suitable person through referrals is to search the Law Societies list of members.